The Head of Legal & AML at Backed Finance will oversee the company’s legal affairs, with an emphasis on Regulatory aspects of securities issuance, cryptographic tokens issuances, commercial agreements with financial services providers, SLAs, and also full responsibility over Anti-Money Laundering affairs, as well as Data Privacy and data sharing. The individual will be providing counsel on a wide range of legal issues, managing relationships with outside counsels in multiple jurisdictions, developing and implementing legal strategies that align with the company's business objectives. Additionally, the position will require management and implementation of compliance processes; making risk assessments, and ensuring that the company is compliant with applicable regulation at all times.
- Provide legal advice and guidance on a range of legal issues, including securities laws, regulatory compliance, commercial contracts and corporate matters.
- Support the development and implementation of new products and services, including conducting legal due diligence and advising on potential legal risks.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive operational compliance program for the organization in liaison with the MLCO of the issuing company and the Board. Main focus is AML compliance and other relevant regulatory topics (e.g. Automatic Exchange of Information, (FATCA/CRS), Data Privacy, Sanctions.)
- Oversee the management of legal risks and liabilities, and define risk mitigation strategies, as well as manage the operation of onboarding of new clients, and monitoring of transactions.
- Manage relationships with outside counsels in multiple jurisdictions, including Switzerland, the EU, Jersey, UK, US, Brazil and other legal and compliance service providers.
- Develop and implement legal strategies that align with the company's business objectives.
- Advise on compliance with relevant laws and regulations, including data protection and privacy laws and IP laws.
- Review, negotiate, and draft various legal documents, including contracts, agreements, and policies.
- Support AML/KYC processes of the company vis-a-vis financial service providers.
- Lead risk assessments, audits, and investigations pertaining to operational compliance matters.
- Coordinate with product, business development, fin-ops, marketing and other departments to ensure company-wide compliance.
- Manage the legal & AML department, including personnel, budget and service providers.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant legal developments and industry trends, as well as regulatory changes, including in the blockchain and cryptocurrency space, advising senior management on necessary actions. Provide advice on regulatory and operational compliance risks for business inquiries including analysis of new products and processes.
- Juris Doctor (or equivalent) from an accredited law school and admission to a country bar, with tangible experience in regulatory and AML compliance.
- Fluent in English, additional European languages - a plus.
- Residence in a country between the GMT and GMT+2 time zones.
- Minimum of 7 years legal experience with 3 years of compliance related exposure, focusing primarily on financial services, compliance and securities law. MiFID II, Swiss DLT law and good understanding of Jersey AML laws and regulations, as well as EU standards - a major advantage.
- Concrete experience in the fintech or financial services industry is a must. Experience in the Blockchain industry, with understanding of digital assets, blockchain technology and wallets, as well as an extensive knowledge of the regulatory landscape in digital assets is a major plus.
- Independent, strong leadership and management skills, able to build, manage and motivate a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate legal concepts to non-legal stakeholders.
- Strong problem-solving skills, the ability to think strategically and adapt to rapid changes.
- Proficiency with technological computer software, particularly Google Workspace.
- Hands on approach
We offer a competitive salary package (base + bonus), equity, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic and talented team at the forefront of the crypto and blockchain revolution.
Interested? Lets talk: Linkedin Email